Thursday, May 28, 2009

C.A.M.H.S (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)

What can I say..... If in need of help..... the WORST people to ask are those who are supposed to be there to help you!!!

I rang CAMHS for some advice on bipolar for Missy. After being put through to the 'intake worker' (now another kind of person not to deal with) and having a long phone conversation about her medication, moods etc etc ranging back from when she was about 3 til now (nearly 13), this woman, whom has never met Missy, never seen any of her medical records and as of now will never meet her!! informs me that in 'her opinion' Missy has been miss diagnosed and there is really nothing that they could do for me because, of course bipolar is really for older people!! FUNGOO

The bloody woman is of course assuming that Missys paediatrician (Dr Harry) who put her on her current medication and made the diagnosis after quite alot of reaserach into our family history and one on one chats with Missy and evaluation from a psychiatrist, who may point out our peadiatrician has a thriving practice and has had extensive dealings with children with mental illness and disabilities and not just 'physically sick' kids.... is of course wrong. Miss-diagnosis and medicating her. Needless to say..... I think this woman is in the WRONG JOB!! Hmmm... wonder is she is a doctor or a bloody social worker? (one of the kinds of people I dont like to deal with)

I did not ring to ask for anything other than some reading material, so as to better understand the highs and lows associated with bipolar. I went off to the 'staying well with bipolar' night in Ballarat last week and although the night was great... it was only really about adults not children or teens.

So bad was my dismay that I rang Pam (team Zak member) to see if I misunderstood the woman. Sometimes I can take things the wrong way. It happens. I had of course had my cranky pills and the 'black dog' has been firmly on its chain, but, I wanted to be sure. I just couldnt believe it. So Pam rang and got the same woman.. and you guessed it, same response but rude and arrogant to Pam. She was not a happy camper either.

Needless to say... off to my trusty computer and amazon.com and $175 later, I have some books being sent to me from America about bipolar in children and strategies to deal with, understand and help keep well. If you want something done... do it your self.... easier and less stressful.

We are off to see Dr Harry next week, will have to mention CAMHS to him and see what he thinks.

To anyone who reads this blog and is interested in the books I am getting, I will write a post about them after reading!! Might be some great information.

PS: dishwasher is still working like a bloody legend!! going to have to give it a name, any ideas?

No comments: