Monday, April 6, 2009

School Holidays !!

It is school holidays again... yippee....

Like school holidays... no getting out of bed too early, no lunches, uniforms to wash and no homework!!

Teenager off to a party with her friends. Missy stayed a couple of nights at her friends house and now they will be here for a few days. Zak had sleepover at Pams last night.

Of course with the whole house to myself last night.... did I party hard, have friends over, a romantic interlude even????? ..... nope, went to bed early. I think I must be getting old. Last time I went out to a club I found the music too loud and there was nowhere to sit.... yep, I am officially over the hill. lol

Teenager thinks I am moderately matured, but I think she is just trying to keep on the good side of Mums Taxi service lol

I recently got some books from America from amazon.com. There is a great selection of books about Autism. There is one in particular called: The Ten Things Your Child With Autism Wishes You Knew. It is brilliant!!! I have read it and given it to his teacher and aide at school and they have read it too. So now, everyone on 'team Zak' will be reading it. It gives great insight to living with Autism and it is a very enjoyable read. The author has a child with Autism and she has a great positive attitude. None of that....'poor me, I have a child with a disability... (my pet hate)., just accept, love and get on with it!!!!!! Loved it. Like alot of information about Autism, you have to sift through it to get to the stuff that is applicable to your situation and family. Not everyone is an expert on Autism, but as the mother of an autistic child, I can assure you that I AM the expert on Zaks Autism. Each autistic child has different issues within the autism range. These range from the ability to communicate, speak, function independently (toilet, shower and feeding), sensory, the ability to cope in our world and many other issues that are unique to our children.

That said, if Zak didnt have Autism, he wouldnt be the little fella we all love and enjoy being with. Autism is just a part of who he is, it does not define him. Just as bi-polar does not define Missy. And of course Alex is not the 'average' teenager. All my kids are different and unique and I am sure life would surely be very dull if I lived in a 'neuro typical' household.

Pam and I bought a new toy..... woodsplitter... whoo hoo

No more splitting wood by hand, gunna have to tough it out and pull on the lever... yeah baby.... just thinking about it makes my back feel great!!!

Loving the heating part of the air-con. Its turning me into a lazy bugga... just press the button and presto... its warm :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I dont know how you fit it all in! Your kids are lucky to have such a dedicated mum. Are you doing all this on your own or do you have someone to help carry the load?